home
image

Fogo Island and Change Islands

Fogo Island is 25 kilometres wide, and was first settled in the 1680's. The area remained relatively isolated well into the 20th century. Descendants of these first inhabitants have retained traces of their Elizabethan dialect. Many early customs, brought from England that have since disappeared from other areas, continue in the communities on Fogo Island. The town of Fogo or "Fogo proper", is the largest on the island. Fogo is the location of Brimstone Head and the festival which bears its name. The significant landmark is considered to be one of the "Four Corners of the Earth" by the Flat Earth Society. Bleak House Museum displays many interesting artifacts from the island's rich fishing heritage. While on Fogo Island be sure to visit Barr'd Islands, Tilting, Seldom, and Little Seldom. The Town of Change Islands is located between Fogo Island and Twillingate, it is the home to the infamous "Squid Jigging Grounds" and holds majestic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the Indian Look-Out trail and Squid Jiggers Hiking Trail.

Quick Links: Attractions

For More Information, please feel free to contact the Gander and Area Chamber of Commerce:

Tel: 709-256-7110
E-mail: ganderchamber@ganderchamber.nf.ca
home